Customers from around the world will view web pages, and so it is not only local laws which may apply to online content.
The content owner is responsible for ensuring that online content conforms to relevant legal requirements.
For any given content laws may apply from:
- local laws
- UK laws
- EU laws
- Customers need to feel reassured – perception is all.
- Security and privacy policies must be clear and easily accessible.
- Policies should be posted on websites in a way that is readable by the alert mechanisms built into browsers.
- Customers should feel in control of their own information and permissions for use.
- Adhere to local laws (privacy, promotions, data protection etc).